Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Farm to Cafeteria

I started my garden this weekend - don't worry, I didn't do anything outside! I planted the seeds for my garden this weekend - beets, cilantro, cucumbers, green beans, yellow beans, squash - I'll buy some onion plants around Memorial Day and a tomato plant and I'll plant some lettuce because lettuce is easy to grow - and can be planted throughout the summer! What does this have to do with childhood obesity you ask? Well, there is a movement across the country to have children growing their own gardens at the schools which can then be turned over to the school for fresh meals! It's called Farm to Cafeteria (there's other codewords as well) and believe it or not there is a conference coming up in Detroit Michigan mid-May - yes Detroit Michigan!

"Farm to Cafeteria is TAKING ROOT all across the country. Entering its second decade, Farm to Cafeteria is becoming a permanent feature of school meals."

The healthy foods/nutrition committee met last week to discuss the idea of adding some school gardens in Wilton (Wilton already has a garden at the high school, I believe). There's no better way to get healthy food to your children than growing it themselves!

Stay tuned for more healthy eating initiatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment