Thursday, May 6, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

As I write this, I am packing to head to my nieces college graduation in Vienna, WV! So forgive me for missing a week of go take a hike! I'll get back to my regular routine next week and hope you all have taken the opportunity to get out and hike Wilton's many parks.

As I was driving around today running some errands to get ready for my golf outing on Monday, I was listening to Dr. Laura advise the father of a 10 year old that under no circumstances should he allow his daughter to walk to school with her friend. "There's all sorts of crazy things that can happen to them," she said. Maybe. And I will never second guess your concerns as a parent but if your child comes to you and says they want to take a walk - shouldn't you find a way to accommodate that? How about you follow behind them - from an unembarassing distance, of course!

We've gotten very busy as families and we no longer do family activities - no family meal, no family play time. When I was growing up, we had a family meal together every night - and on Sunday's we actually got to go out - as a family! Saturday mornings were reserved for chores around the yard and then it was neighborhood baseball time.

I know -I'm old and all that is passe!

I ask you to think about that fact that your child will live 10 years less than you will because of the food choices we have taught them to make and the sedentery lifestyle they are living.

Gives one pause, doesn't it?

Happy Mother's Day - we can make a difference and we can start today.

No comments:

Post a Comment